The Research Center will be closed on December 26, 2012.
The Washington State History Research Center provides public access to historical
archives, special collections, digital collections and research library, while also
serving as the principal repository for the Society's artifact collections, special
collections, and digital collections.
The special collection includes the following types of resources, relating to Washington
state and regional history: photographs, archives and manuscripts, posters, maps,
printed ephemera, books, and finding aids. The museum collection of artifacts presently
numbers over 90,000 items, including artworks, clothing, archaeological artifacts,
ethnographic materials, tools, equipment, and furniture. The digital collection
includes electronic records, documents, digital audio and video files, and digital
photography and images.
The Research Center's Hewitt Research Library and Special Collections are open to
the general public, via the special collections reading room on the 3rd floor of
the building, by appointment only, Tuesday-Thursday from 12:30PM
to 4:30PM. Additional opportunities for visitor research of Society's Collections
are available via our
Appraisals: While we are happy to refer you to a professional who can appraise your item(s), the staff of the Washington State Historical Society does not provide appraisal services. For a referral, contact Lynette Miller, Head of Collections, at 253-798-5926, or via email at email@example.com.
Directions to the Washington State History Research Center at
315 Stadium Way
Tacoma, WA 98403
From I-5 Southbound:
- Take City Center exit (#133) to the I-705 spur, passing the Tacoma Dome (stay in
- From I-705, take the Schuster Parkway exit to the right.
- Continue as described below
From I-5 Northbound:
- Take the City Center exit (#133) to the I-705 spur, stay left.
- From I-705 take the Schuster Parkway exit to the right.
- Continue as described below
- Remain in the right lane until the I-705 spur ends at Stadium Way, north of downtown.
- Turn right at the traffic light onto N Stadium Way, passing Stadium High School.
- At the first traffic light, turn right onto Tacoma Avenue, and proceed two blocks
(going west) to N Third Street.
- Turn right into N Third Street and continue downhill, past the Stadium football
- The Research Center and lower parking lot are three blocks down on the right.
Access Into the Research Center
- Park in the lower parking lot.
- Proceed up the steps to the main, third floor, public entrance, which fronts Stadium
- Use the outside intercom telephone box (located just outside the front door) to
notify the staff of your arrival.
- The outer doors are locked at all times for security purposes.
- Please notify the staff in advance, if you have special needs or access concerns.
- For those visitors requiring handicapped access, there are designated parking spaces
in front of the Research Center and wheelchair ramp for access to the front entrance.
- Researchers are required to provide a photo ID at the time of their appointment,
and agree to allow a copy to be made as part of the Society's security policy for
Map of Location
- If you would like to search our Online Collections, please
browse the Collections Catalog.
- If you would like to submit a research request, please complete the
Research Request Form.
- If you would like to make a donation to our collection, please complete the
Donation Inquiry Form.
A donation is not required to submit a request for research assistance.
- Digital images and other media from the WSHS collections are also available through the Research Center. For more information, please see our
Image Duplication and Licensing
page. To place an order for a digital image or other media from the collections online, please see our Online Image Order form.
- For information about volunteer opportunities at the Research Center, please visit